Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: A theory of my own.

Posted by Bobbie on September 26, 2001 at 01:25:56:

In Reply to: Re: A theory of my own. posted by Jessica on September 25, 2001 at 23:14:53:

Speaking of which, I just can't understand how neoclassical economics could be based on something as simplistic as preferences and utility maximization. People are just not rational in the way that neoclassical economics says they are. All you have to do is look around the dorms to see that. I agree with Jessica that people are made the way they are by all kinds of influences, political, cultural, and economic. My preferences, if you can call them that, are always changing. For example, just taking this class has changed how I think about a lot of things. It's even changed how I think about clothes. I've begun to question whether I should be so loyal to Abercrombie and Fitch, for example. Isn't that sort of like the workers in Norma Rae who didn't want to talk union because they were so programmed to maintaining the status quo? Blind loyalty to something or someone who doesn't care about you or even know who you are? Just late night thoughts.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on May 21, 2004.