Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Race, Economics, and Matewan

Posted by Melissa McCormick on September 27, 2001 at 17:12:00:

In Reply to: Re: Race, Economics, and Matewan posted by Jessica on September 27, 2001 at 10:46:04:

: I personally feel that the word race is used to place people into disticnt categories, and make them have blinders as to what the real issues are. When for example someone talks of race, or racial acts, I think the word itself "race" is used to divert the attention from the real problem, we get so focused on race and on insignificant things that we ignore the truth. That there is something fundamentally wrong with hurting other human beings. Theres something wrong with represing a certain group, in order for another "group" or "race" to feel like they are dominating. I feel the word "race" and the concept of such a thing as race is used to divert attention from what is truly important because, (and this is just my theory), our society is unable to progress beyond name calling and placing people into boxes.

I totally agree with that statement. I believe that categories and labels are really just a cop-out because most people are too comfortable in their ways of life to change their habits. People get scared when new ideas are presented, and like to revert back to the same old comforts which in this case would be using "race" to categorize people.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2001 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on September 27, 2001.