Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: capitalism and democracy

Posted by Lakshmi on September 28, 2001 at 14:27:01:

In Reply to: Re: capitalism and democracy posted by Lakshmi on September 28, 2001 at 14:24:55:

To further make my point, twenty years ago India was probably richer than China. India is one of the most democratic countries in the Third World. India has attracted far less foreign investment and still attracts far less than China. Some have argued that India might have done much better with a less democratic system.

: By the way, it's sort of funny that people now want to say China is not Third World. Why? Because they have been successful? It is still a very poor country. Their success makes my point. They were even poorer twenty years ago and very totalitarian and yet they have attracted far more foreign direct investment than any democratic Third World country, even ones that were richer twenty years ago or even today.

: : See my other post on this topic below. You seem to have repeated the same posting several times. Anyway, people who say things like that are not basing their statements on facts, just on propaganda. Capitalists are happy to have totalitarian governments or bloody military dictatorships if it helps them make money.

: :
: : : Negating china and a few other flukes, many argue that democratic countries and those countries transitioning into democracy have more capitalist success due to the relative stability of that political system.

: : : i think i might drop this topic. it makes my head hurt.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2001 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on September 29, 2001.