Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: government

Posted by Klara on October 4, 2001 at 15:17:23:

In Reply to: Re: government posted by Julie B on October 3, 2001 at 23:29:21:

To all,
remember the distinction between surplus and profit.
They are far from the same thing.

: I was just curious with regards to government and religion if the tourist industry is an element that could be a source of the surplus or if it is a bussiness within itself. I mentioned I had been to a handful of churches that had a "gift shop" which were in areas that attracted a fair amount of tourists. I don't know if the profits from the postcards and "gifts" went to the church or to tourism or if the tourism industry donated the church like half the profits or something. Do you know if the tourist industry is a seperate bussiness itself with a surplus or does it have a relationship with the government and i guess maybe religion as well?

: : I can't imagine a society where no surplus existed. Societies need surpluses in order to fund cultural events, to support children's education, and a lot of other things that make society possible. I guess the issue is who gets to decide on what happens to the surplus.

: : : so would government and religion just collapse while the markets continued on?

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2001 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on October 10, 2001.