Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: gender and race

Posted by Melissa McCormick on October 7, 2001 at 15:09:56:

In Reply to: gender and race posted by Crystal Bourbeau on October 4, 2001 at 19:55:10:

: I am having difficulties seperating gender from race, because scientifically there are differences between men and women. I don't feel that those differences interfere with one's capabilities as an individual, but maybe they should be celebrated or atleast acknowledged. I am led to believe that there are differences between men and women, but when I hear such things as women being more nurturing than men due to their inherent motherly instinct it bothers me b/c it incinuates that men are not nurturing. Also, all difference doesn't act as a dangerous mechanism, in which people will eventually dehumanize the other. For instance, if we all sought after one type of beauty, it would lead to a dull and homogenous society. Also, is that why we are here to learn how to kick corporate America's ass? I don't see Mount Holyoke as a place against men.

the way i see it, Mount Holyoke is not a place against men, but rather a place where women can empower ourselves to force others to acknowledge the fact that women are just as worthy of opportunities as men are.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.