Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: gender and race

Posted by Klara on October 7, 2001 at 17:18:03:

In Reply to: Re: gender and race posted by Melissa McCormick on October 7, 2001 at 15:09:56:

I do not believe that differences between men and women are as important as we are led to believe. There are no real differences but only social ones.
What does it mean for you to be a woman? I'm pretty sure that my idea of womanhood is quite different from yours, and they have little to do with certain physical traits that we might share.
Gender is a social construct, just like race.

: : I am having difficulties seperating gender from race, because scientifically there are differences between men and women. I don't feel that those differences interfere with one's capabilities as an individual, but maybe they should be celebrated or atleast acknowledged. I am led to believe that there are differences between men and women, but when I hear such things as women being more nurturing than men due to their inherent motherly instinct it bothers me b/c it incinuates that men are not nurturing. Also, all difference doesn't act as a dangerous mechanism, in which people will eventually dehumanize the other. For instance, if we all sought after one type of beauty, it would lead to a dull and homogenous society. Also, is that why we are here to learn how to kick corporate America's ass? I don't see Mount Holyoke as a place against men.

: the way i see it, Mount Holyoke is not a place against men, but rather a place where women can empower ourselves to force others to acknowledge the fact that women are just as worthy of opportunities as men are.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.