Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: gender and race

Posted by Melissa on October 8, 2001 at 17:23:23:

In Reply to: Re: gender and race posted by Klara on October 7, 2001 at 17:18:03:

: I do not believe that differences between men and women are as important as we are led to believe. There are no real differences but only social ones.
: What does it mean for you to be a woman? I'm pretty sure that my idea of womanhood is quite different from yours, and they have little to do with certain physical traits that we might share.
: Gender is a social construct, just like race.

: : : I am having difficulties seperating gender from race, because scientifically there are differences between men and women. I don't feel that those differences interfere with one's capabilities as an individual, but maybe they should be celebrated or atleast acknowledged. I am led to believe that there are differences between men and women, but when I hear such things as women being more nurturing than men due to their inherent motherly instinct it bothers me b/c it incinuates that men are not nurturing. Also, all difference doesn't act as a dangerous mechanism, in which people will eventually dehumanize the other. For instance, if we all sought after one type of beauty, it would lead to a dull and homogenous society. Also, is that why we are here to learn how to kick corporate America's ass? I don't see Mount Holyoke as a place against men.

: : the way i see it, Mount Holyoke is not a place against men, but rather a place where women can empower ourselves to force others to acknowledge the fact that women are just as worthy of opportunities as men are.

You're right about gender being a social construct. I was actually thinking about that after I posted that followup. There are so many things that factor into sex, gender, womanhood, etc. that it is nearly impossible to define it. I basically meant the "socially acceptable" (whatever the heck that means) definition of woman and man....most likely biological. But even biology is not reliable now to define gender because of a whole other group of people (transgender). There are supposedly five genders now. The PC terms are endless...

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.