Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: gender and race

Posted by Julie B on October 10, 2001 at 23:43:21:

In Reply to: Re: gender and race posted by Melissa on October 10, 2001 at 22:53:00:

i think we have developed a new perspective and awareness on gender and the "roles" that men and women fit into (which really has no limitations), although History has set a social standard in the past of the duties and jobs that a gender is suppose to do. I can see the reasoning for a nurturing mother and a father who supports the family, but i think we have incorporated and broke down those stereotypes by adding the endless possibilities of having whoever do whatever they want to do. I do believe there is a physical difference in men and women but there also is phyiscal differences with every individual...

: They are genetically different to a point. But you also have to consider the group of people who identify themselves as transgendered....and there are also cases where babies are born with either both genitalia, or look completely like one sex apperance wise, but have the sexual organs of the other. there are a whole lot of differences out there, weather you want to accept them or not and just because it's not as widely known as say, race, many differences still exist in the category of gender and sex....it's not just black and white here.

: : Tradtional roles or beliefs about the attitudes of men and women are socially constructed, however, men and women are genetically different.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.