Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Marriage and feudal relationships.

Posted by Satya Gabriel on October 11, 2001 at 08:48:50:

In Reply to: Marriage and feudal relationships. posted by blueberry on October 11, 2001 at 02:10:09:

Yes. I indicated that marriage has been analyzed from a class perspective (by Fraad, Resnick, and Wolff) and that they concluded that feudal relations could be identified as one aspect of many (not all) marriages. I went on to say that the marriage ceremony is largely derived from ceremonies developed within feudal societies (used in the forging of feudal bonds between lower and higher level lords). Marriage is far more complex than class, however, and even when class is a factor in the marriage relationship, there is no a priori reason to believe that one particular class process need prevail. Some marriages include communist fundamental class processes, others are partnerships of self-employed producers, still others may include feudal relationships. Feel free to bring this up in class.

: From our last class, I came to the conclusion that Professor Gabriel was saying that marriages are feudal relationships. While, I agree that Francis depended on Josiah for her livelihood and hence was probably in a feudal relationship with him, I do not see marriages in our society today having that characteristic. Did I misinterpret somewhere along the line?

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2001 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on October 14, 2001.