Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mission and Communism

Posted by Cindy Chan on October 14, 2001 at 21:56:52:

On Thursday, Prof. Gabriel talked a little bit about the movie that we're going to see on Monday which is The Mission and since i loved the movie so much I couldn't wait until Monday to post this message. In class, we discussed how the native peoples that the Jesuit priests converted were trained to live within the framework of a type of communism. I do agree with this point especially from since out of all the output that the community of natives made, 9/10 (I believe) was put back into the community. This, to me is the very essence of communism, in which there is no class distinction only the leadership of an overseer to keep order in the tribe. Although I don't particularly believe it to be the right thing for Jesuit priests to preach on what is good and what is love, I believe that they are working towards what they think is a good cause. Only one has to wonder, if the Jesuit priests never found the people above the falls would the magnitude of destruction at the end of the film would have ever shown it's face to the tribe? There is strong support that had not the priests interfered, the tribe would have a better chance of survival since they are a nomadic peoples. Nevertheless, upon converting the tribe, the priests initiated a sense of community within its peoples and community breeds happiest.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on May 21, 2004.