Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: To be forced to work for someone else

Posted by Melissa on October 17, 2001 at 10:02:38:

In Reply to: Re: To be forced to work for someone else posted by Carole on October 16, 2001 at 23:02:41:

I don't think that it is unnatural for someone to work for someone else because some people don't have the determination or focus to employ themselves. This is not necessarily a bad thing, if that is what makes you "happy" and truthfully, we need those people to assist those who do wish to work for themselves.

: This is related to your point, Klara. I actually like the reading on colonization because Marx seems to poke fun at the idea of supply and demand for labor. He shows that the supply of labor is not just a function of utility maximization but is created by historical processes. People have to be forced into a position where they have to work for a wage instead of work independently.

: : I found the idea that it is difficult to impose a capitalist system on people who are used to a different economic system, very intriguing.
: : Although I generally do not like talking in terms of what is natural and what is not, that is definitely how I feel about this subject.
: : Question: do you think that it is unnatural (i.e difficult for a human being) to work for someone else? And how would you define working for someone else? Surely, cooperation to achieve a common goal is another matter, but how?

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.