Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Motivation to Work

Posted by Klara on October 19, 2001 at 15:06:30:

In Reply to: Re: Motivation to Work posted by Julie Hall on October 18, 2001 at 20:57:02:

Guys,
you all presume that in capitalist society, everyone is paid equal to their effort. I do not believe that is true. The people with the lowest amounts of money to consume are the ones that work the hardest. Low-wage workers are not lazy, but the least valued by the rest of society. Don't you think that sweating away in McDonald's is one of the hardest jobs one can have? Lots of people have to work two jobs just to make ends meet, because the wages are so low.

: I agree that communism may promote laziness in people because they are all of equal position with the same amount of control, so there is hardly competition. At the same time, however, communism may promote productivity because people know how influential their individual efforts can be. If they sit back while others do the work, then the whole point of communism will be lost.

: : I think that the motivation for people to work is what they can buy from the money they get from working. Some people need very little to keep them happy, so they don't have to work as much. I don't think that communism allows for people to be lazy, because if they don't work, they don't reap any of the benefits.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2003 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 28, 2003.