Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Communism, self-employment, and capitalism

Posted by Julie B on October 21, 2001 at 23:26:20:

In Reply to: Re: Mississippi Masala & Self-Employment posted by Carole on October 21, 2001 at 19:21:24:

I looked up communism, self-employed, and capitalism because i'm a bit confused.
COMMUNISM: A theoretical economic system charaterized by the collective ownership of property and by the organization of labor for the common advantage of all members.
SELF EMPLOYED: Earning one's livelihood directly from one's own trade or business rather than as an employee of another.
CAPITALISM: An economic system in which the means of production and distribution are privately or corporately owned and development is proportionate to the accumulation and reinvestments gained in a free market.
Is it possible to have a combination of two or three economic systems in a business? For example if I own a small little...bakery where I did the baking and the selling myself, benefitting from my own labor and getting the profits, that would be self -employment right? but what if my little bakery got well known and there was a high demand for the bake goods, but i couldn't keep up so i decide to hire someone to help me...now i would have a waged employee and that would be capitalism? Although what if i had a partner or a few who worked with me and got equal amounts of the work and profit...would that be communism? I'm having a little bit of trouble having a clear understanding of these systems and how they function. Is self employment simply owning a bussiness and doing the work? Is having a partner (or a few) in a bussiness considered communism? I hope these aren't too nieve of questions.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.