Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Capitalist Family

Posted by Julie Hall on October 24, 2001 at 20:12:35:

In Reply to: Re: Capitalist Family posted by Miranda on October 24, 2001 at 16:09:53:

This whole idea of an allowance is very interesting, whether it's considered capitalist or possibly even self-employment. My friend's father gives his granddaughter $1.00 for every 100 acorns she picks up ($1.00 is a lot for a five year old). When she makes $10.00 from this activity, she gives it to a Red Cross Fund supporting the children of Afghanistan. I wonder if this may be considered communism in a way. Although she is only five, she collectively decides with her grandfather what to do with the profits of the voluntary acorn collecting. Maybe it's not though, because they aren't collectively doing the work, although he is providing the money, which is a necessary contribution for the fund.

: I totally see where you're coming from. I find these ideas very interesting also. I never received a set allowance either, but I recall my mom setting up a little payment system when I was very young. She made a chart of chores with different prices listed for different chores, and I could choose which ones/how much work I wanted to do and in turn be paid for. (I do recall that the idea for this system originated from my borther and I, not my mom) Would that be a capitalist system? Or would I be seen as self-employed because I was selling my services at my own leisure? Either way it's fascinating to think about these systems being installed in our logic at such early ages.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.