Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Capitalist Family

Posted by Melissa McCormick on October 25, 2001 at 10:51:40:

In Reply to: Re: Capitalist Family posted by Becka Friedrichs on October 24, 2001 at 21:30:54:

I agree with Becka. It's not communism because they aren't working together... but i'm not sure if it's capitalism either because like someone said before, you need surplus to have capitalism.... but if you think about it, if the kid doesn't buy anything, than it is a surplus because it's not going to anything essential. So the money left over (the surplus) goes to the charity....

: What Julie said about the five year old and her grandfather doesnt strike me as communist. It seems to me that the child is offered a certain amount of money for a certain amount of work. The grandfather is the capitalist reciever, and she is the wage laborer. He does not work alongside her and therefore it is not a communal process. If it's any other system besides capitalist, my argument would be that the 5 year old was self employed taking part in a capitalist system. Any thoughts?

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.