Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Structure

Posted by Eleanor on October 31, 2001 at 06:02:47:

In Reply to: Structure posted by Miranda on October 30, 2001 at 22:10:37:

I agree with you, Miranda. I think it's something we're taught. We are taught to let someone else structure our time. I don't think it was that way when this country was mostly farmers. Your roommate's doing what most people do. She is generalizing the way she was taught. But I doubt that her grandmother was taught the same way. And if she went to a country where more people are self-employed then she would probably go through culture shock.

: We've been talking about how identity can be formed by class processes, and today we were talking about how capitalism can change the way people live. For example, instead of a small, friendly community in which everyone socializes and works together, capitalism often produces very structured communities in which people become alienated from each other (because they work on schedules).

: My roommate and I were actually arguing about this last night: She says that if she didn't have school and if most people didn't have jobs, they wouldn't know what to do with themselves, they would watch tv all the time and get depressed. I say if I could structure my own time, like I'm having more of a chance to do here in college, I could do much cooler things with my time. She just thinks that people are naturally in need of structure and that they can't produce it for themselves. I can maybe agree that some people need structure in their lives, but maybe we'd all be better at producing our own structure if we were ever given the chance.

: From day one of kindergarten, or even preschool for some of us, we have been on someone else's regimented schedule. Except for the freedoms offered by lenient parents, summers, or maybe college life, we've all been operating like robots. So it's no wonder that my roommate doesn't feel like she could structure her own time productively. What about everyone else, do you feel like you need your tasks assigned by some higher power to keep your life in order?

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on May 21, 2004.