Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Structure...and self-employment

Posted by cara on October 31, 2001 at 10:27:17:

In Reply to: Re: Structure posted by Eleanor on October 31, 2001 at 06:02:47:

I'm still not ready to glamorize self-employment. Honestly, my dad doesn't own and work at his repair shop because it makes him especially happy. there's a lot of responsibility that comes with having your own business that many people don't consider. if he loses customers, he doesn't get paid and it is all his responsibility. he has to calculate and pay the sales taxes. he has to buy the insurance and pay the mortgage. previous owners left a hazardous waste site out front when an old single-lined gas tank leaked. now, if he wants to sell the property, he has to pay to have it cleaned up. not everyone has the energy and sense of responsibility it takes to keep a business afloat. i don't think i would make a good self-employed person because i don't like dealing with money and i'm bad at soliciting. i'd give people too many breaks and i'd get screwed over.
unfortately, my dad works at the garage because he is self-interested and because he didn't many other options. if he didn't buy the business from my grandfather, it wouldn't stay in the family. It's the same with a lot of my farming friends. plenty of them don't want to work on the farm and many are obligated to stay. i don't think everyone has what it takes to be self-employed. most can, however, participate in a commmunal system (so don't call me an evil neo-classical bad guy--which i still don't know enough about to believe in...)

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on May 21, 2004.