Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Meena and Demetrius

Posted by Carole on November 2, 2001 at 07:25:44:

In Reply to: Re: Meena and Demetrius posted by Melissa McCormick on October 31, 2001 at 23:58:39:

Hey guys, is there something at stake in this discussion that I'm not aware of? The way the two characters, especially Demetrius, were depicted I just can't see them as doomed as people seem to be saying. For one thing, they were planning to work together. They were talking to each other honestly. You could see their love growing throughout the second half of the film. They were able to stand together despite opposition from family members. Name a film romance that had stronger foundations than this one.

: I totally agree with Eleanor. The relationship between Meena and Demetrius is not based on anything solid. They were both using each other and once the novelty wears off, i don't see that there is anything left to hold them together. They were very impetuous and didn't really think about the outcomes of their actions, namely what would happen in 20 or so years. Yeah it's fine to be spontaneous and have new experiences, and that's a big thing that is going on here, but i don't feel that this would be a lasting relationship by any means.

: : I do not agree with you. I do not think that the relationship would have lasted because from what I saw in the film it was as if they were both using each other. I got the feeling that they felt the need to rebel against their social boundaries, get away from their lives and thus ended up running off together.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on May 21, 2004.