Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

Re: self-employment: liberating and draining

Posted by Carole on November 4, 2001 at 21:48:59:

In Reply to: Re: self-employment: liberating and draining posted by Julie B on November 4, 2001 at 21:35:22:

I think the American Dream is based on self-employment. It is based on the idea that every person works for him or herself. And, like Crystal said, "self-employment helps to promote self-motivation, hardwork, and working with a personal passion" and the belief that "we all can achieve whatever we want through hardwork and determination." While it is true that a hard working self-employed doctor or lawyer or consultant can create their own success, this isn't the way capitalism works. In capitalism most of the wealth and the employees are simply inherited and the success of the company depends on the hard work of wage laborers. But the view that we all work for ourselves, that comes out of self-employment, makes people forget they are being exploited.

But even though I've said this, I don't personally believe self-employment is an alternative to capitalism for the entire society. We can't all work for ourselves in this way. Maybe the system needs to be changed by using worker pension funds to buy control of companies and then change the way the entire system functions.

: I agree that people in general are crazed with work, although personally I would rather spend 40+ hours a week in a business i'm invested in and have a personal passion for rather then spending the same amount of time at a desk job where I pretty much do the same thing everyday and just go through the motions to get a paycheck. It depends on the person. I think that in the US we have the idea that money equals happiness to a degree..and that's why everyone thinks they need to work so much. It would be nice if we valued our leisure time much more. and just as a side note I think the american dream is based off of capitalism more then self-employment...but i really don't know.

Post a Followup

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2001 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on November 4, 2001.