Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Non-profits

Posted by Crystal Bourbeau on November 11, 2001 at 19:16:28:

In Reply to: Non-profits [This message has been deleted] posted by Cara Cookson on November 7, 2001 at 22:29:42:

: As we've discussed self-employment, i've wondered how non-profit organizations fit in. I would rather work for a non-profit organization that shares my vision and energy with a collective of others rather than venture off on my own. Non-profits usually rely on outside grants donations from philanthropists, (who's money usually comes from capitalism). These donors "invest" their money "in the best of all possible worlds" (i.e. let's not debate this) for the sake of greater good. People are hired and receive a wage from this system to carry out the work. Many of these organizations are based on hierarchal structure. They aren't self-employed. They aren't slaves, or true communists, or serfs. What are they?

I am a little confused as to your approach to non-profits and capitalist companies. From my understanding you are on the one hand saying capitalism is bad and non-profits are good, regardless of their similarities in structures. Don't you think that there are nice and pretty capitalist enterprises, just as a lot of non-profits may be more democratic or fair. Similarly, don't you feel that there are some non-profits that are run poorly and in a strict and rigid way, like a lot of the capitalist businesses. I just feel that a lot of people are making large assumptions about the nature of capitalism and non-profits. Aren't we contesting the fundamental principles of capitalism, therefore if non-profits have that same structure then we should be contesting them as well.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2001 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 12, 2001.