Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Capitalism being ingrained in children

Posted by Julie B on November 11, 2001 at 21:01:22:

In Reply to: Capitalism being ingrained in children posted by Jessica on November 8, 2001 at 00:31:11:

I don't know if i would refer to it as "brainwashing", but i definately agree that capitalism is ingrained in the american society and at a young age. Although, i think for some americans self-employment is ingrained just as much because of their surroundings and that they grew up with it. If you think about it almost everything is ingrained at a young age. The way you handle situations and reactions towards things all are connected to how you grew up, your experinces, and what kind of society you live in...it's what you know... it's what determinds or maybe overdetermines who you are to a point. Kids aren't independent really till high school or older and are effected and influenced by their surroundings. Honestly i didn't know too much about communism, feudalism, self-employment, and other economic systems besides capitalism until college, which maybe brings up the question Should kids learn about economic systems at a fairly early age (like elementary school)? maybe they do...now.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.