Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Capitalism being ingrained in children

Posted by neda on November 11, 2001 at 23:18:31:

In Reply to: Capitalism being ingrained in children posted by Jessica on November 8, 2001 at 00:31:11:

I'm not sure that capitalist brainwashing could be the explanation for why children want to be certain things. It seems to me that chidren want to be firemen to be heroic, or a beautiful famous figure skater, or a doctor because they know that that position is respected. I don't think that kids are really thinking about the hourly wage involved, and if hourly wage is involved, that is because most jobs in the capitalist society are wage labor jobs, not that the children picked the job for that reason. Children just want a cool fun job, and the money aspect of the job is probablly not at the forefront of their mind. Children probablly really find out about capitalism and having money when they begin to be influenced by the American media.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on May 21, 2004.