Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Commodifying

Posted by Alexandra Polly on November 18, 2001 at 16:17:12:

One thing that I found interesting in our class discussion in class on thursday was the idea of capitalism wanting to commodify a lot of things. It is good for capitalism to have people want things and want money for those things, this is what makes up part of our financial systems. The idea though that I thought was interesting was that indeed it does seem that more and more things are being commodified.
Some of the things that have been commodified are babysitting(day cares)-paying someone else to raise/take care of your children. The online friend finder services offer friendships in return for a membership fee. Sex also has been commodified for many many years. Someone also mentioned that now fresh water is beginning to be commodified. Another example I know of has to do with schools, my highschool was a public school and they instituted a program that included that if students maintain a B average and less than 3 excused absences then they did not have to take their final exams. I thought this was a wonderful idea and I used it to my advantage, I thought this was a break for students willing to work hard. However one day I found out that they offered this because the school received a certain amount of money/reimbursment for each student that was in school. It turned out that the schools with the most students on a regular basis were rewarded in many ways. Though this is one example I again never realized that so much in our life has become commodified.
Is the overwhelming amount of commidifying going on now really a good thing for our economy, or could it be not as beneficial for the working man??
What do you think about the speed things are being commodified now??

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on May 21, 2004.