Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Commodifying

Posted by Julie B on November 18, 2001 at 21:28:26:

In Reply to: Commodifying posted by Alexandra Polly on November 18, 2001 at 16:17:12:

if i'm not mistaken, a commodity is a product(something transformed from nature)that is exchanged for money on a market (right?). So wouldn't everything that is sold on a market be a commodity? i guess meaning that the overwhelming amount of commidifying is the range of things/services/objects being exchange in a market. if you think about what people consume...they really consume almost anything you can think of including bottled water, a friend, or even oxygen. i guess if there's a commodity to be consumed more then likely it will be, especially with help of advertising and the media. I think all the products that are being sold are a good thing for the economy because it's bringing in profits and cash flow, which effects the whole class process bringing in more jobs, making more products...ect. But if we've been in a slump for some time, perhaps it is no good for the economy and the products could be overinvested in (like the internet)with some cases. gosh i guess in theory it would makes sense that if you could sell anything and get money for it that your bussiness would be doing good but i can definately see that it is more complicated then that. (i appologize for my confusion i was sick on thursday)

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on May 21, 2004.