Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Society of debt

Posted by Cindy Chan on November 24, 2001 at 08:59:11:

In Reply to: Society of debt posted by Jessica on November 20, 2001 at 10:28:03:

: I was thinking about the idea that we are being made to buy everything now. Like if it can be packaged, bottled, and sold its being done. People in society are told to buy, but most importantly they are told to want. What this does is create an enviroment where greed is good, and where there is no limit to what people will do to get material possessions. So as the want of people exceeds the actually amount of money that they have, and as they acquire more "necessities" they begin to buy things on credit. As they buy more things on credit they become engulfed in debt. The debt in the US at this point is the highest its ever been. Which brings me to my point. When consumers no longer have anymore money, or any credit to buy things then all that I can see is a downward spiral, much like that of the great depression.

Debt has its goods and bads. I see how debt effects individual poverty but debt on a nationalistic sense can mean an investment in the country. Debt of the loyal-kind is what breeds patriotism. What do you think?

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.