Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Society of debt

Posted by Alexandra Polly on November 25, 2001 at 23:11:52:

In Reply to: Re: Society of debt posted by blueberry on November 25, 2001 at 18:43:00:

: : : I was thinking about the idea that we are being made to buy everything now. Like if it can be packaged, bottled, and sold its being done. People in society are told to buy, but most importantly they are told to want. What this does is create an enviroment where greed is good, and where there is no limit to what people will do to get material possessions. So as the want of people exceeds the actually amount of money that they have, and as they acquire more "necessities" they begin to buy things on credit. As they buy more things on credit they become engulfed in debt. The debt in the US at this point is the highest its ever been. Which brings me to my point. When consumers no longer have anymore money, or any credit to buy things then all that I can see is a downward spiral, much like that of the great depression.

I dont understand why you think that people would be so entirly consumed by greed and desire for things that they would go into a deep debt to get them. I understand that some people may do this, but isnt it a bit much to assume that the entire nation is capable of this, that the people wont save, or that they will spend everything that they own and them some on credit. I would think that even if some people or maybe even a lot of people did this that they would not negatively impact the economy on as great a scale as you are talking about, this is interesting but I am not sure that it will or could ever happen, this is an interesting thought though.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.