Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Feeding off ignorance

Posted by Miranda on November 30, 2001 at 19:12:22:

In Reply to: Feeding off ignorance posted by Crystal Bourbeau on November 29, 2001 at 00:09:49:

I agree that our economy is dependent on the ignorance of the American people, but even more so in the consumer market. I recently learned about the cut flower industry; how most of our country's flowers are grown in south america where laborers live and work under horrible conditions, many of them dying from all the pesticides. I had no idea what was going on. Why had I never heard about this? Most Americans probably won't hear about something unless it's on CNN or they read it in the New York Times. And as we're learning, most of the media is influenced by the government and poeple with lots of money (like say, the owner of a big flower company). But it's hard to fight back even if you do know what's going on. You never really know who owns what and maybe the same guy that owns the evil flower company also owns the company that prints your textbooks or produces your soy milk- either way the $$ is still going into his pocket.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.