Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Feeding off ignorance

Posted by Julie B on December 1, 2001 at 11:30:29:

In Reply to: Re: Feeding off ignorance posted by Miranda on November 30, 2001 at 19:12:22:

I agree about the ignorance in our society, although it seems like the consumers are trapped in what they buy. The big evil flower company that has horrible conditions for the south american workers, probably sells the flowers at a cheaper rate than the flowers that are grown in an organic farm in california where the workers are treated well. Since so many people in the US are very consious about how much things cost, they are more likely to buy the less expensive flowers. This is the same case for food. Organic food costs more and has less done to it, so there are no pesticides, not too much processing, and rarely no added artifical flavorings that make anything taste good (like MSG). a lot of families that do not have that much money, most likely eat food that has been produced by an "evil" company which supports poor labour rights and puts money in the owner's pockets. same case with clothes...i'm sure old navy has a couple of sweat shops (i actually don't know if they do or don't...but most likely). it seems like the people with money are the only ones that can easily choose if they want to support "good" companies because they have the means too, where as people who do not have a bunch of money are more likely buy what is affordable, which supports the companies that aren't so great.
(it's just a thought i could be totally off)

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.