Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Manipulation at its best

Posted by blueberry on December 1, 2001 at 18:44:35:

Growing up, I admired American companies and co-operations for investing in third world countries. I thought they actually wanted to improve the economic situation. Sometimes the companies would shut down operations after 5 years when they in fact had a ten year contract with the Government claiming that they were not generating enough profits. After taking this class, I have realized that these companies were only manipulating the situation. I guess the boards of directors of these companies realized that in such a poor country people would be willing to work for extremely small wages as well as the fact that they would sell their products easily since many times American culture was incorporated in the native culture of these countries. What do you think?

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.