Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: protect us!!

Posted by Kari Gilstad on December 2, 2001 at 23:57:49:

In Reply to: protect us!! posted by Biiftu Aba-jebel on December 1, 2001 at 00:10:41:

I don't think the government should have the ultimate right to take things off of the market. I don't understand how people loose their free will when they smoke cigs. It is totally an individual choice to smoke or not. And yes, I agree, it is harmful to others, but I don't think the government should just take it off the market. It's like saying if someone has no will power to quit eating unhealthy food, that the government should take it off the market. That person eating so unhealthy could die of, say a heart attack, but that's not the companies fault, it's totally the individual's fault, for not being careful. Although i do not agree with smoking, the cig company is making a living producing that product. The pharmasutical company is also making a living, their demand just happens to be increased due to the number of smokers (or whatever the cause may be). I would think that it would be unfair to let the Government take control of the market and to have them decide what should be for sale and what shouldn't.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2001 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 2, 2001.