Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: essay

Posted by Candice on December 3, 2001 at 00:25:57:

In Reply to: essay posted by biiftu Aba-jebel on December 2, 2001 at 21:56:30:

First off, may I say that coming from a Midwestern town with less than 5 high schools to choose from, I never really realized that people picked their high schools. Maybe I have led a sheltered life but in a place where private schools are virtually nonexistent and the most respected school in the area has probably not sent a single graduate to an Ivy-League school in at least 10 years, there really arenít many options available.
I am not complaining about my high school, only commenting on how fortunate you were to have the opportunity to pick a school for yourself. All the high schools within an hours drive of my house were basically all the same size, shared the same anti-diversity, and offered the same traditional forms of academics. Also, until a couple of years ago, despite the fact that none of the schools could offer any programs or philosophies that could be considered superior to the other schools, it was illegal for students who did not live in the immediate area of the schools to attend them. The only real option for dissatisfied students was to coerce their parents into moving to the other side of town.
I commend you for the personal integrity involved in making your selection of a high school. It takes guts to make a decision such as this where the social consequences will undoubtedly be life altering. Did you choose Mount Holyoke College for similar reasons as Urban Academy? It takes a genuinely intelligent person to be able to separate the social standard of intelligence and success from its true meaning.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2001 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 3, 2001.