Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Confusing the Customer

Posted by Neda on December 6, 2001 at 23:11:13:

In Reply to: Re: Confusing the Customer posted by Julie Hall on December 6, 2001 at 21:12:37:

I am often confused by the clothing industry. I know that GAP and other clothing companies heavily exploit workers in developing countries. Because of this I have avoided buying GAP clothing, but the problem is that if GAP loses profits and moves out of those countries, those already poor people will have no jobs at all. This sort of exploitation is going on all over the world and is what allows us to get so many commodities at really inexpensive prices. So what can we do? It is obvious that it is not in our governments favor to punish these corporations and make them clean up their acts. But government is not the market for these companies, we are, and that gives us great power. If consumers stop buying in protest, the companies will have to shape up. But this is where the media comes into play. Most of the problem is that the American consumers are not aware of the conditions under which their goods are produced. It is not in the media's interest to report on the plight of workers in other countries, and give the big US corporations a bad reputation. In response to the question of what we can do, I think that we should at least educate ourselves on what is going on, and not be "spoon fed" by the media. Once people are knowledgeable, and realize that they really do have the power to change things, these trends can be reversed.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2001 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 6, 2001.