Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: life or death

Posted by Cindy Chan on December 9, 2001 at 20:27:46:

In Reply to: life or death posted by biiftu Aba-jebel on December 9, 2001 at 04:13:08:

: I UNDERSTAND THAT PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO GIVE THE GOVERNMENT TO MUCH POWER, NEVERTHELESS, THE GOVERNMENT EXISTS TO PROTECT US THAT IS IT'S JOB, ISNíT IT? IF YOU LEGALIZED WEED AND TOOK CIGARETTES OF THE MARKET, IT WOULD MAKE PERFECT SENSE. WHY WOULD YOU LET THE GOVERNMENT, AN ENTITY THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE PROTECTING YOU ALLOW MILLIONS OF PEOPLE TO DIE EVERY YEAR BECAUSE THEY WILL NOT PULL THE PRODUCT OFF THE SHELVES. I UNDERSTAND THAT IF IT IS LEGAL IT WILL BE SOLD IN THE BLACK MARKETS. HOWEVER IN MY OPINION, IT IS BETTER TO MAKE THE DRUG ILLEGAL, BECAUSE THEN IT WOULD NOT REACH AS MANY PEOPLE OR AT LEAST IT WONT BE ABLE TO TARGET PEOPLE THE WAY THAT THEY DO THROUGH ADVERTISEMENTS.
: NOT ONLY IS IT A HEALTH PROBLEM BUT IT ALSO IS A PROBLEM DIRECTLY CONCERNING THE GOVERNMENT. BECAUSE THE CIGARETTE COMPANIES HAVE SUCH A PROFITABLE PRODUCT THEY CAN MAKE AS MUCH AS THEY WANT BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL PAY WHAT THEY NEED TO GET THERE HANDS ON CIGARETTES, BECAUSE OF THE ADDICTION. THERE FOR THE CIGARETTE COMPANIES HAVE LIMITLESS POWER IN THE GOVERNMENT, THEY CAN AFFORD IT. I PERSONALLY THINK CIGARETTE COMPANIES ARE JUST A BAD ALL AROUND, WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Biftu, I do see your point but if the government made cigarettes illegal that would now stop the American people from smoking. Like you said, cigarettes are addictive and that is the very reason for people to start up black markets for cigarette exchange if the government were to ban it. Take history for example. When the government banned alcohol, people distilled their own liquor in their bathtubs. Unlike company liquor, homemade liquor contained all sorts of toxins. Let's face it, the average joe doesn't know too much chemistry. If people started putting anything and everything into their homemade liquor and sold it on the black market then consumers would be devouring toxins harmful to their bodies. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that no matter how hard government tries to stop cigarette activity, there will always be an illegal trade in the background.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2001 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 9, 2001.