Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: life or death

Posted by Kari Gilstad on December 9, 2001 at 23:47:30:

In Reply to: Re: life or death posted by Cindy Chan on December 9, 2001 at 20:27:46:

: I totally agree with the fact that if the government were to take the cigarettes off the market there would most defintley be a black market for them. Because of the addictivness of the contents in cigarettes, people will do just about anything to get their "fix". I don't see that taking cigarettes off the market and making them illegal would solve any kind of problem. That will just make it a little harder to get, but not impossible. Think about it; how many people actually smoke weed? A ton of people. So what makes you think that a ton of people aren't going to still continue to smoke cigarettes? Just because it's illegal, doesn't mean that people aren't going to continue to buy/sell/produce them. In my personal opinion, since cigarettes are legal(as of now) people should be able to make the conscience decision to smoke them or not. The information is accessable as to why they are harmful and potentially deadly to humans, so it's not like it's a huge secret. Information about different foods are also highly accessable; about how dangerous it is to eat high fat/calorie foods all the time without maintaining an exercise program (such things like that). But, still we see people dying every day from being overweight, heartattacks-and these people are all making conscience decisions to eat those foods, knowing that they aren't healthy. So, I suppose i am saying that even if the government was to take cigarettes off the market, the sales might industry would suffer slightly, but because there is such a huge demand for it, i don't think that it will put an end to smoking.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2001 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 9, 2001.