Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, environment

Posted by neda on December 12, 2001 at 14:24:12:

I am wondering what the government's role is in what is happening between big corporations and the environment. We talked briefly about how it is not in the government's interest to put restraints on big business, and how under some administrations dealing with the consequences of environmental degradation has been consciously overlooked.
I have also seen how even when a government wants to stop something that a big company is doing, they are unable to. Near my hometown in Washington state, a big garbage company is building a new dump. However, it is on a wetlands, and over the largest sole-source aquifer in the state. The governor signed a bill that the dump cannot be built on that land, but the company claimed they had a "grandfather clause" and began construction. (The grandfather clause allows them use of the land because they claimed they were constructing before the bill was signed) Now several parties have hired lawyers to fight the dump, but all the while the dump is being used. The garbage company has plenty of lawyers and money to spend proving their case. Anyhow the interesting part is how it is now against the law to have a dump there, but it has not stopped the garbage company. I guess I am just interested in how unchecked big business can be when it comes to environmental issses.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.