Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Roger and Me and anti-capitalists

Posted by Skye Woodrum on March 1, 2002 at 00:57:39:

In Reply to: Re: Roger and Me and anti-capitalists posted by Dee on January 4, 2002 at 15:08:01:

Wow...let me just say, I do not support slavery, nor do I support exploiting cheap labor. I had two
main points:

1. People should not feel guilty or be punished for being talented, working hard, and being
successful BY the non-talented, lazy, non-successful people complaining and being jealous.

This does not mean that people with valid complaints should go unheard; furthermore, it does not
give some "never feel guilty" license for someone who had done mankind a wrong. My point was
succeeding is not wrong it itself; however, one is still fully responsible for all actions and if in order
to succeed one does wrong to someone, e.g. lies, cheats, steals, etc..., then that person or persons is
totally responsible and of course they should feel guilty.

2. I felt Roger Moore was hypocrtical by making all this money by criticizing capitalism.

Afterthoughts...it has been a while since I have seen this movie, Dee, and I didn't realize that
this was about exploiting cheap labor until you just said it. I don't remember him singling out
cheap labor or even bringing that up at all- I really thought he just went on and on about how awful
Roger was and how he had all this money and it wasn't fair.

It don't remember him really putting together a very good argument as to why Roger should be
responsible to the people of Flint except that he had money and they didn't.

But like I said, it really has been a while since I've seen the movie, so I may be totally off on this one.

I feel like my post was totally misunderstood- I hope I've cleared that up. And once again- I do NOT
support slavery of any kind.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on May 21, 2004.