Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

WORKING HOURS ---- US vs. ASIA

Posted by Emily Kuo on October 9, 2002 at 21:16:31:

From what we discussed previously, we came to a conclusion that americans have the longest working hours in the world due to the fact that it is the most industrious capitalist country. However, from the monthly review 1999 of US department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, it stated that " in Asia, higher average working hours, compared to the United States, are not offset by lower labor force participation. This is particularly true for the four East Asian Newly Industrializing Countries (NICS)-- South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore." ( Ark, Van Bart and McGuckin, H. Robert. INTERNATIONAL COMPARISONS OF LABOR PRODUCTIVITY AND PER CAPITA INCOME. pg. 7)
Doesn't this mean that even though Asia has a lower percentage of people working in labor force, it doesn't affect the working hours if compared to that of America. However, at the same time it also shows that "per capita income and labor productivity " is far behind United States. Thus, from this review, we can clearly see that the NICS has higher working average hours then America.

P.S I'm not anti-american because I'm a US citizen. I just happened to have lived in TW for the past 18 years.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.