Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re:NormaRae Now

Posted by Patti on October 10, 2002 at 00:11:51:

In Reply to: Matewan/NormaRae posted by Kelly Uccello on October 2, 2000 at 21:09:34:

: Kelly Uccello's thoughts in progress:
: In this paper my main goal is to show that feudalism existed in Matewan and that a "feudalistic mindset"(if that really exists-it will when I'm done) was present within the NormaRae. I am hoping to prove that feudalism existed in Matewan because of time and place. The West Virginia coal mines were extremely isolated which allowed a feudalistic environment to emerge without much government intervention. In NormaRae, the circumstances are different because capitalism exists in the literal term of the word, but doesn't exist in the cultural sense. The employees that worked at the factory are so overtired and underpaid they became conditioned to believe that these work and pay conditions were acceptable and final. It was not until someone entered the scene, the union organizer, that the mistreated workers realized the government had set up laws to protect them and that these laws were enforceable. I want to look into the timeframes in which these two incidents occurred and indicate the governmental enforcements that were available at the time of each incident. For example, in the 1920's martial law was implemented, in Mingo County, WV, to keep the peace between the coal mine workers and its operators.
:

I just watched Norma Rae and found it to be very inspiring. Does anyone know where she is today? What she is (has been) up to? Is she still alive?

Thanks for your help.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2002 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on October 10, 2002.