Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Boiler Room/Wall Street

Posted by Gustav Sturken on October 20, 2002 at 16:55:11:

In Reply to: Boiler Room/Wall Street posted by Antonia Massa-MacLeod on December 12, 2000 at 23:05:30:

What you see in those movies is just what happens everyday.
Indeed, I'm currently working for a very important investment bank and I can see it everyday. GREED. That's the word. It really clarifies, cuts through and captures my coworkers' feelings and behaviour.

Gekko is constantly pushing Bud Fox to get him information, no matter where he gets it. Seth Davis was also pushed to get new clients; whales, if possible (by lying to clients or by other means).

Wall Street is plenty of phrases which are constantly repeated by bosses and coworkers. Well, when we saw Boiler Room many of my coworkers learned by heart Ben Affleck's speeches to the new employees at JT Marlin.

If you really want a movie about the stock exchange and all that stuff, you just have to come to my office. You wouln't beleave what you would see. It's even more unbeliavable than any of those movies. GREED and COMPETITION are the only rules.

These lines are to encourage all of my colleagues at the investment banks to talk about their work.

Excuses for my bad English.

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2002 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on October 20, 2002.