Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mission

Posted by Jacqueline Heller on October 22, 2002 at 09:01:56:

Hello!
Well, the end of that was deeply disturbing and sad, yet before then I think the movie portrays several different economic systems quite well. First you have a more capitalist trading system of the spanish and portugese territories. We also see a form of communism within the Jeusit missions and, we learn of slavery and feudalism through the speech of other characters. I do not know what you all think, but I feel that feudalism was mentioned in the description of how the indians were treated by spain. It is a mix a feudal and slave society. Since slavery was outlawed by spaniards, I assume that all the indian's that worked for the spanish were tied to the land by a severe bondage contract. Although none was specifically talked of (which is why this claim may be heavily disputed) it seemed suggested.

I thought that the portrayal of communism in the movie was an effective one, and it was interesting how the Vatican priest seemed to associate it with the more radical french theorists than the early christians. The movie also demonstrates why communism of the jeusits was successful, it was because they had a true desire to work for the communal good of the mission, and in truth for God and not a high authocratic, and possibly corrupted dictator. They made choices, instead of the choices being made for them.

What do you girls think?

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2002 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on October 31, 2002.