Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: a respectable trade and beanfield war

Posted by blythe on November 12, 2002 at 21:58:42:

In Reply to: a respectable trade and beanfield war posted by Emily Kuo on November 6, 2002 at 22:48:27:

I'm not sure about the beanfield war, but the shipment of slaves that was uninsured because he was bringing back more than would fit in his ship was lost. I don't think the ship even came back. They got caught in a storm, and they had to throw the slaves overboard. Then the sailors had to abandon ship.

: halo...its been a while since we watched A RESPECTABLE TRADE ...i have some questions about u maybe you guys can help me out? : )
: Josiah told the man/head of the ship to capture 600 slaves instead of the original 300 right. but when the ship came back at the end only a few survived ..is that correct ? what happened? too many slavs ? diseases?
: this is not a form of self employment rite? becuase he doesn't own the surplus if there are any.. the slaves are sold to slaveowners inwhich its an exchange of value. and also he is paying another man to go capture the slaves so that would be capitalism.

: as for the beanfield war , Hose's initial input would be only the beans that he got from the shop as well as his own human labor rite..and the risk would be him gettin arrested which is shown through out the film. I'm not exactly sure why wasn't he arrested? was it like many times in the film , the sheriff just decides not to arrest him and in the end they found out that he couldn't be arrested...?? i'm confused
: thanx!!

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on December 17, 2004.