Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Definition of the Third World

Posted by Jeff charlton on December 1, 2002 at 15:27:40:

In Reply to: Re: Definition of the Third World posted by Mei on September 30, 2001 at 08:53:25:

:This is my definition of third world, please respond.
A third world country can be judged on the way it treats it's sick & elderly, prophylactic care for the young, the human rights issues such as capital punishment & in particular the barbaism of execution techniques such as frying alive,the bank balance of the country whether it spends more than it earns & relies on credit to sustain the economy, clearly the bottom line of whether or not the country is bankrupt today.The civil or domestic help which humanitarians may wish to provide those that are less fortunate, unemployed or sick. The social assistance provided to those on hard times. the fact that a large majority of the population live below the poverty line say 30%.I am descibing America. Could anybody enlighten me please. Jeff in London

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2004 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on May 21, 2004.