Help Search Campus Map Directories Webmail Home Alumnae Academics Admission Athletics Student Life Offices & Services Library & Technology News & Events About the College Navigation Bar
MHC Home Mount Holyoke College
[ Followups | Post Followup | Economics in Popular Film Discussion | Help ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Racism and Economics

Posted by Luscious on October 25, 2003 at 20:34:18:

In Reply to: Re: Racism and Economics posted by Bobbie on September 28, 2001 at 02:23:40:

You are contradicting yourself, yes. It's not MALES who tend to dominate everything in our society; it's WHITE MALES. Black colleges are necessary to provide Black people with a safe environment in which they will can learn the skills necessary to succeed in a White society. People who join groups based on race are joining based on a shared need...the need to survive in a White world.

: I think women's colleges still serve an important purpose. They provide women with a safe environment where they can develop leadership skills and cooperation. Males tend to dominate everything at coed institutions. The alumna network is also very useful.
: But I believe that it would be better to have institutions and organizations that are not based on race. The NAACP is not restricted to Black people. But they should probably change their name, though. What in the world is a "colored" person anyway?
: I think that racism is just another example of culturally produced preferences. It's all very artificial. But our lives are full of artificial things like that. We believe in lots of things that are not real. All those things are part of the economic system and the political system. In Norma Rae the workers were separated into distinct cultural groups by race but when they formed a union this seemed to change a little bit. People should all belong to the same institutions and groups based on shared needs, not on things like race.
: Maybe I'm contradicting my first statement about women's colleges. But I still think it is different. Can anybody help me with this?

Followups

Post a Followup

Name:
Email:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Title of Link:
Optional Image URL:

----------------------------------------

Home | Directories | Web Email | Calendar | Campus Map | Search | Help

About the College | Admission | Academics | Student Life | Athletics
Offices & Services | Giving | News & Events | Alumnae | Library & Technology

Copyright © 2003 Mount Holyoke College. This page created by a script and maintained by Webmaster. Last modified on October 25, 2003.