In the summer of 2005 a committee of students, staff, and faculty met to create recommendations for improving systems and support for students to report and address bias incidents and hate crimes. Their recommendations were approved by Senior Staff in the fall of 2006.
The work of the committee was inspired by concerns brought to our attention by students following a series of events on campus that highlighted gaps in our current grievance procedures. The goal of the committee was to create a set of protocols that would help to create a culture of open exchange in the spirit of mutual respect.
The policies and procedures are in addition to our current Grievance Procedures. One of our major goals was to create an infrastructure for helping students navigate the grievance process.
The members of the committee were:
- Liz Braun, Dean of Students, Chair
- Barbara Arrighi, Associate Director of Public Safety
- Tamara Bullock ‘07
- Isabelle Darling, Coordinator of Multicultural Affairs
- Rene Davis, Director of Residential Life
- Yaminette Diaz ‘06
- Elisa Del Valle, Assistant Director of Residential Life
- Adriana DiPasquale, Clinician
- Paul Ominsky, Director of Public Safety
- Sally Sutherland, Associate Dean of the Faculty
Please note that since the original committee submitted its report further revisions have been made based on feedback from Senior Staff, the Dean of the College, Public Safety, Residential Life, Counseling Services, and Health Services.