*Updates to the 2013-14 version of the Tenure, Reappointment and Promotion Guidelines are expected by August 1, 2013.
GUIDELINES FOR THE PROMOTION PROCESS
Deadline for receipt of material in the Office of the Dean of Faculty:
January 25, 2013
A conversation between the Chair and the Dean of Faculty is encouraged early in the process of bringing an associate professor forward for promotion to full professor.
Chairs and candidates should consult the Handbook of Faculty Legislation for the College’s policies and procedures on promotion to full professor.
The following material must be provided by the department:
1. Departmental Recommendation Summary (form attached)
2. Curriculum Vitae – Use form and order as follows:
Name of Candidate
Education: Degrees, Date Received, Institution
Teaching Experience (most recent first): Mount Holyoke College, Other Institutions
Compositions, Performances, Publications, Works of Art (most recent first, with full citations)
Lectures and Papers Delivered
Professional Organizations and Activities
Other Relevant Experience
3. Copies of all Activities and Service Summaries filed by the candidate since tenure, in chronological order (earliest first).
4. Record(s) of Associate Professor Conversation(s)
5. Department Recommendation
6. Letters are encouraged from departments or programs with which the candidate is affiliated, formally or informally, whether or not required by legislation.
7. Letters from Evaluators outside of Mount Holyoke.
It is the wish of the Trustee Committee on Education that at least some of these come from persons not suggested by the candidate. The department must indicate whether or not an evaluator is acquainted with the person being reviewed, and whether the evaluator was proposed by the candidate or the department. Please identify the outside evaluator by giving biographical information and the reason for his or her selection, and include a sample of the letter from the department chair (sample letter attached) requesting the outside evaluation. For additional guidance please refer to “Advice About Selecting and Using External Evaluations” included in this mailing.
8. All other Supporting Documents considered by the department, enrollments, publications, audio and video tapes or disks, slides of works of art, etc. Syllabi are very helpful.
9. SUGGESTED: A Statement from the Candidate discussing (1) scholarly/professional plans for the next five years in relationship to past scholarly/professional activities, and (2) ideas about future and past contributions to the curriculum, and to other aspects of the life of the department and of the College.
For all personnel recommendations to be reviewed by the Advisory Committee, we request that one copied set (three-hole punched) and an electronic version of materials plus the original be submitted to our office. The Dean of Faculty’s office will provide tabbed binders to aid in this process. Please note that copies of supporting materials such as articles should be included. If submitting books or other supporting materials that cannot be scanned, departments should provide nine copies. If you have any administrative questions on this process, or want to arrange pick up of your binders, please call the office at ext. 2858, for assistance.