On-Campus Resources

Getting Help from Campus Police

For immediate assistance after a sexual assault, you are encouraged to contact Mount Holyoke College Campus Police. Campus Police is available on campus 24 hours a day and can provide services immediately. A Campus Police officer will:

  • Encourage you to get immediate medical attention. An officer from Campus Police will contact the on-call clinician and escort you to the Health Center or other medical facility for medical assessment and treatment of any injuries.
  • Arrange for you to see a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE). This examination includes collection and documentation of evidence to preserve your future legal options. An on-call nurse will provide the exam at UMass University Health Services or Cooley Dickinson Hospital. Campus Police will arrange for transportation to either location.
  • Advise you of on-campus options for counseling and other services available through the Health Center, Counseling Service, Residential Life, Dean of Students, Academic Deans, and Religious and Spiritual Life.
  • Connect you to off-campus resources, such as the Everywoman’s Center Counselor Advocate Program, Womanshelter/Compañeras, and the District Attorney’s Office for SAFEPLAN.

If you request, Campus Police will also investigate the incident and provide follow-up services. In its investigation of a sexual assault, Campus Police will assign an officer who has received special training in these matters. The officer will ask for a description of the assailant(s) at the time you report the incident. During the investigation, the officer will ask you many questions and go over the details of the incident.

If necessary, Campus Police will provide liaison with the South Hadley Police Department, the Hampshire County District Attorney’s Office, and other local police departments, depending on where the sexual assault occurred.

Requesting Campus Police to investigate does not mean you are making a commitment to follow through with criminal prosecution. If you choose to report the crime and the assailant is known, you may have the following judicial and/or criminal options:

Campus Trespass

If the assailant is not a member of the Mount Holyoke community, a trespass notice may be appropriate to prevent the person from entering the campus.

Campus Sanctions

If the assailant is another member of the Mount Holyoke community, you may opt to utilize campus sanctions. The Dean of Students will direct you to the appropriate resources for your situation.

Protective Order

If you and the assailant had a relationship such as dating or living together, you may be able to obtain a restraining order against that person.

Criminal Complaint

The College--or in some cases you--may be able to request a criminal hearing, or an arrest may be made.

Resources at Mount Holyoke during the Academic Year

The following departments will help you access all campus and community services during the academic year. Campus Police is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Availability of other departments will vary during vacations, summer, and January Term.

Campus Police

Getting Help from Other Departments

In addition to the option of contacting Campus Police, you may choose to access help after a sexual assault through the Health Center, the Counseling Service, or the Office of Residential Life. These departments will explain all of your options and will contact other departments at your request.

Health Center

  • Phone: 413-538-2242
  • On Campus: x2242
  • Staff is on call 24 hours a day.
  • MHC anonymous reporting by staff required.

At the Health Center, a nurse can:

  • Provide emergency contraception (EC) up to 120 hours after the incident.
  • Provide screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
  • Provide anonymous and confidential HIV testing and counseling.
  • Screen for predatory drugs up to 96 hours after the incident.
  • Contact Everywoman’s Center at UMass to arrange for a Counselor Advocate to provide you with support.
  • Encourage you to seek further treatment through the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) program at UMass University Health Services or Cooley Dickinson Hospital. Campus Police can arrange for transportation to either location.

In order to preserve evidence after a sexual assault it is important that you do not change your clothes, bathe or shower, brush your hair or teeth, or apply medication or cosmetics prior to any kind of medical exam.

Counseling Service

  • Phone: 413-538-2037
  • On Campus: x2037
  • Staff is on call 24 hours a day.
  • MHC anonymous reporting by staff not required.

At the Counseling Service, a clinician can:

  • Listen to you, validate your experience, and empower you with options.
  • Offer crisis intervention and brief therapy to assist you in recovering from the trauma.
  • Offer referral to other services including the Counselor Advocate Program at the UMass Everywoman’s Center.
  • Provide you with information regarding the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) program.
  • Offer support, counseling, and referral for others who may have been affected by the sexual assault such as friends, partners, and witnesses.

Residential Life

  • Phone: 413-538-2088
  • On Campus: x2088
  • Staff is on call 24 hours a day.
  • MHC anonymous reporting by staff required.

At Residential Life, a staff person can:

  • Escort you to campus resources if needed.
  • Discuss temporary housing assignments if the sexual assault happened on campus, or if returning to your room is not an option.

If you talk with a Hall President (HP) or Student Advisor (SA) they must contact an Assistant Director of Residential Life (AD), the Dean on Call, and/or Campus Police.

ADAP (Alcohol and Drug Awareness Program)

  • Phone: 413-538-2616
  • On Campus: x2616
  • Monday – Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm; some evening hours

Academic Deans

  • Phone: 413-538-2855
  • On Campus: x2855
  • Monday – Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm

Additional Campus Resources

If you have academic or personal issues related to a sexual assault that are not addressed by the services described in this guide, you are encouraged to contact other campus resources for assistance. These include the Title IX Coordinator, Dean of Students, Academic Deans, ADAC, the Ombudsperson, and Religious and Spiritual Life.