The process for the Karen Snyder Sullivan Travel Award is as follows:
- Applications are due in early October; finalist interviews take place in early November.
- The Award recipient is notified in early November.
- The Award recipient is recognized at second semester convocation.
- Travel takes place during the summer immediately following receipt of the award.
Each applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a Sophomore, Junior or FP currently enrolled as a student in good standing at Mout Holyoke College.
- Must not traveled outside of the United States and Canada after the age of twelve (except under unusual conditions, to be specified in the application).
Travel proposals must be consistent with the following:
- The trip must be taken during or immediately following the academic year in which the award is made.
- The award recipient must have at least one full semester of study remaining at Mount Holyoke following the travel.
- The trip must be made for a minimum of four weeks to destinations outside the United States and Canada.
- No packaged/group travel or academic/credit programs are allowed.
The Office of the Dean of Students coordinates the selection process for the Karen Snyder Sullivan Memorial Travel Award.
Completed applications are reviewed by the Selection Committee and approximately five finalists are selected to make informal presentations before the Committee in early November.
The night before the finalist presentations, all finalists are invited to attend a dinner where they can informally meet members of the Selection Committee and previous recipients of the Karen Snyder Sullivan Travel Award. On the day following the award dinner, each finalist makes an informal presentation of approximately 10-15 minutes to the Selection Committee. Each finalist is encouraged to take this opportunity for creativity in presenting their travel plans, goals, and unique expression of their vision of the world and their role in it. The Committee will make its final selection once all finalists have made their presentations and the award recipient will be notified the next day.