Access and Inclusion
Jump to content
Jump to Navigation
You are here
Environmentally Friendly Practices
- ReEnergizer- Local company for recycling used cooking oil
- Keeps grease locally -- decreases carbon footprint
- Filtered grease is sold locally to anyone who makes bio-diesel fuel
- All students are given a reusable beverage MHC bottle for hot and cold beverages. By using this, students can help us save water, electricity and detergent instead of our china & paper cups.
- Students can receive a 10% discount on beverages at Uncommon Grounds when they use their mug.
- We use permanent ware for our regular china, flatware, and glasses in all of our dining rooms that can be washed and reused
- We use reusable cleaning cloths in our dining rooms and kitchens.
- Purchase pre-processed produce - reduces waste and increases usable product yield
- Use EVO sprayer containers in lieu of aerosol spray cans for spraying oils
- Reduce oil usage/creates less waste
- Less expensive than spray cans
- Cooked-to-order /batch cooking preparation whenever possible to reduce food waste
- Use of FoodPro (Dining Services food service software system) to minimize food waste
- Self-service on all serving lines to promote “take what you want, but eat what you take”
- Use 100% bleach free recycled paper napkins (100% post consumer)
- Napkins put in baskets on table so you take what you need
- Plastic Utensil Dispensers
- Used in Atrium Café and Blanchard Café to reduce number of utensils by dispensing one utensil at a time
- Decreased trash barrel size to use a smaller garbage bag – this will enable us to utilize more of the garbage bag
- Shutdown all refrigeration that is not being used during the summer months
- All dining halls have computers which have reduced the need for paper memos, hence reducing paper usage.
- Atrium Café Grab n’ Go
- Minimize the use of containers but use some plastic packaging to be able to properly display and hold food items such as salads, side salads
- The containers used in Atrium Café are recyclable and can be rinsed out
- Blanchard Café
- Offer permanent ware and/or plastic reusable baskets at all stations as an option for those customers who are dining on premise in Blanchard Café
- Use biodegradable sandwich wrap for all sandwiches and liners in baskets
A Member of the