Give the Energy Hogs a Break!
Five Steps to Tame the Hogs before you leave for break!
There's nothing you need to leave on while you're away.
1. The Office Refrigerator - empty it, defrost it, turn it off, unplug it, and prop the door open.
The biggest hog in your office is probably the refrigerator; it runs round the clock and uses 50 to 100 watts.
2. Computers, printers, Copiers, Scanners - turn off your computer and turn off and unplug other equipment.
Most office equipment uses energy even when they are "off" - staying at the ready to reduce warm up time when turned on.
3. Other Appliances and Equipment - turn off and unplug coffee makers, microwaves, cell phone chargers, radios, steros etc.
These too use energy when "off". Those little plug-in transformers can draw 4 to 7 watts even when they're idle. It all adds up. See a video clip on "Vampire Loads" from Treehugger.com.
4. Windows and Heat - close and lock all windows.
Leave the heat at the normal setting, FM will take care of heat set backs.
5. Lights - last one out, turn off the lights and have a great break!