1837 Hall was built in 1962 on the base of Prospect Hill, overlooking Lower Lake. It was named after the year Mary Lyon founded Mount Holyoke Female Seminary. A footbridge above the lower lake waterfall connects 1837 to the southern end of campus. 1837 Hall is located between Prospect Hall and the Mandelles, and is across Lower Lake from Pratt Hall and Ciruti Center for Foreign Languages.
1837 is one of the more modern residence halls. It features rooms with large picture windows overlooking the lake and the rest of campus. Renovated in 2005, 1837 houses 157 students in single, double, and triple rooms on five floors and a basement. Residents of 1837 share a full kitchen and student lounge featuring a TV/game room with pool and air hockey.